A space to develop the full range of my pedagogical interests, for the benefit of all future students and colleagues.

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Snapshots of everyday violence


I began working at Castlemont High in East Oakland two weeks ago.  I no longer have much time for reading or writing, but here are some flashes from last week:

Wednesday: Wednesday is an early release day so that the teachers have time for professional development and collaboration.  I’m in the music room with eight other teachers, discussing how we can make better use of the advisory classes.  Then a sound: “what’s that?” a new teacher asks.  Others look up and calmly say, “gunfire.”  “But it sounded so soft.” 

Thursday: One of my few Yeminis students is pretty checked out today.  I go and talk with his girlfriend.  “What’s up with ---- today?”  “Oh don’t you know Mr. B?  His friend got shot at yesterday.”  “Is he ok?”  “Yeah, they just trying to scare that nigga.” 

Friday: I overhear this in my classroom: a black female says a young black man with a crush on her, “you too fuckin’ scared to use a gun.”  He hangs his head and does not reply as she looks at him condescendingly.  I walk over, pretending I didn’t hear, and ask, “hey, I’m looking forward to this weekend.  What about you guys?”  After class I ask him to stay.  I told him what I heard. 

“What do you think about what ----- said?” I ask.  “I dunno.  I mean, it’s fucked up.”  “What’s fucked up?”  “I dunno.  It just is.”  He looks confused.  I put on my “man-to-man” voice I use with my male students: “Look,” I say.  “What if she told that to another man, a man who’s not as strong as you?  If he wasn’t as strong as you, maybe he would do it.  I think that’s what’s fucked up.  What should men do when they get challenged like that?  I mean, some of them might give in.  Especially if they’re around people who challenge them a lot, they might give in.  You know what I mean?  We need to put ourselves around the right people.”  "Yeah, yeah.  I know."  "You see it?"  "Yeah, I see it," he says. 

No comments:

Post a Comment